For many, a dining room is a uniquely special place where guests and loved ones convene to entertain, converse, and share meals. Melding form and function is crucial in dining room design, as it’s a space that should not only be aesthetically pleasing, but also draws people to use it.
Here are five tips to keep in mind when it comes to dining room design:
- Storage: If you’re someone who likes to keep dinnerware, glassware, or other items in your dining room, it’s essential to incorporate a practical, beautiful solution for storing or displaying these valuables when not in use.
- Flooring: Dining rooms are often high-traffic, spill-susceptible spaces, meaning you’ll want to be thoughtful when choosing flooring. To avoid mess and stains from collecting, you’ll want to opt for a quality, durable, easy-to-clean surface that can stand up to all the gatherings your dining room may host.
- Lighting: Integrating warm, ambient lighting in your dining room design will generate the perfect setting that allows guests and loved ones to enjoy an inviting, cozy mood.
- Furniture: The central component of a dining room is its table and chairs. You’ll want to choose a size and shape that suits the space and your needs. If you like hosting large dinner parties, long, narrow, rectangular tables offer optimal seating for many guests, but may produce a different conversation pattern compared to the intimacy that small, round tables allow.
- Décor: Decorative elements like art, antiques, and other furnishings allow you to inject personality into your space, which will support your dining room in achieving a homey, one-of-a-kind feel.